- 2012. “Post City of Quartz Los Angeles.” Human Geography 5 (3): 94–96.
- 2006. Golden Gulag: Prisons, Surplus, Crisis, and Opposition in Globalizing California. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2012. “American Toxicity: Twenty Years after the 1992 Los Angeles ‘Riots.’” Amerasia Journal 38 (1): ix–xviii.
- 2018. When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir. New York: St. Martin's Press.
- 2018. Farming While Black: Soul Fire Farm's Practical Guide to Liberation on the Land. White River Junction, VT: Chelsea Green Publishing.
- 2019. Black Food Geographies: Race, Self-Reliance and Food Access in Washington DC. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- 2015. “Diet and Obesity in Los Angeles County 2007–2012: Is There a Measurable Effect of the 2008 ‘Fast-Food Ban’?” Social Science & Medicine 133: 205–11.
- 2008. “ L.A. Official Wants a Change of Menu.” Washington Post, July 13. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/12/AR2008071201557_2.html.